Deadline : December 15, 2023
Applications are open for the UNU-EHS/University of Bonn International Joint MSc Programme. This is a two-year Master’s of Science programme which aims to provide an opportunity to students from developing countries to pursue an inter-disciplinary programme. Selected students will gain detailed knowledge, critical understanding, strategies and the tools required to take an interdisciplinary approach towards environmental risks and human security.
The programme is offered by the Department of Geography of the University of Bonn together with the United Nations University in Bonn. You will attend a structured with a unique combination of advanced conceptual and applied engagements with the field of environmental risks and human security in an international context.
Students can expect to explore academic learning units in the fields of Vulnerability Assessment, Ecosystem Services, Sustainable Development, Disaster Management, Climate Change Adaptation, Human-Nature Relationships, Science & Technology Studies, Development Geography, Geomorphology, Socio-Hydrology, Future Studies, GIS and Remote Sensing.
- This scholarship is offered as part of of a selected group of international postgraduate degrees that benefits from the EPOS funding scheme.
- Scholarships are offered by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- Several fully-funded scholarships will be offered to students from developing countries through this scheme.
The scholarship offers the following benefits
- Scholars will be eligible for a monthly stipend worth 934 euros for the entire duration of the programme
- You will also receive payments towards health, accident and personal liability insurance cover
- The scholarship also offers a travel allowance from your country of origin to Germany.
- You may also be eligible for extra benefits including monthly rent subsidy and monthly allowance for accompanying members of family
Eligible candidates should fulfill the following requirements in addition to the general eligibility criteria for the Master’s programme:
- Candidates must come from an eligible Developing Country (see Full List Here)
- You must have at least 2 years of work experience after the Bachelor’s and before applying for Epos programme
- Applicants must have graduated from their Bachelor not more than 6 years ago
- You must have completed no other Master in a similar field of studies
- Wishing to apply the post-Master knowledge in career as practitioner (not in an academic area/PHD) further contributing to development
- Being ready to fully commit to start with the Joint Master Programme once accepted by Joint Master’s selection committee and for funding through Epos
To apply for the scholarship, you will need to apply for the Master’s programme to receive admission. During this application, you will be required to attach additional documents required for the scholarship evaluation and selection.
- The ideal candidate must posses interest or experience in working in the field of human-nature relations and risk governance in the Global South.
- Applicants from developing countries are strongly encouraged to apply.
This Programme offers 12 modules, with ten modules taught in the first three semesters. The fourth semester involves a compulsory internship and an independent work on the Master’s thesis. An internship of at least eight weeks is a compulsory part of the programme.
Fields of study include:
- Geographical approaches to risk, vulnerability and resilience
- New approaches to development geography
- Earth system science.
- Qualitative & Quantitative Methods, as well as GIS & Remote Sensing
- Social-ecological systems, Risk & Technology.
- Risk management and governance, forecast & prediction.
- Disaster management, disaster risk reduction (DRR) and humanitarian response.
To apply, Click here
For more information, visit the official website here